Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Publication Day for DRAMA QUEENS in the house



The dedication in my book reads, "To my daughter, Jennifer, and our jumble of a chosen family." Here's a picture of Jennifer at 16 accepting bouquets of flowers after a fabulous dance concert. Like the book's main character, my daughter is biracial. She's also tall and beautiful, smart and funny (with a huge laugh), deeply perceptive and good at anything she does. It's accurate to say that along with my many years in the theatre, she and the other members of our diverse and nontraditional family are the inspiration for this novel. That's what I love to write about -- family ties, relationships, all the ways we struggle to discover who we are and find the right path for ourselves in life.

Of course, in the act of writing, Jessie took off on her own (the way characters do) and became someone different from both my daughter and myself. Still, it was a relief to me when Jennifer read the final version of the book and gave it (and Jessie) her stamp of approval. I'll share more later about the other people who inspired this story.

Today we are celebrating a long writing, rewriting, editing, and publication process that has finally come to fruition.  Today you can buy the book (online at B&N, amazon.com, many other sites, as well as in bookstores). And you can find it in libraries, too. I hope you get your hands on a copy. I hope you read it and fall in love with Jessie and her crazy jumble of a chosen family. I hope you'll let me know if you do!

3 comments:

Linda T. said...

I loved reading about the personal story behind his book.

Karen S said...

Wow! I was doing my contract stuff (for CSUN) and referenced Mothermoon, so I looked you up - and man, are you busy or what? My son (Henry, 17) and I just saw Christie and Jim recently at a performance (David Sedaris)at CSUN. I miss working with all of you so much. I am exhausted with all the responsibilities of 2 teens and 2 jobs, but I know you know what it's like! When I have more time, I'll peruse your site - my kids are both avid readers (and bookclub members) so seeing a YA book from you is exciting! Love to you, Gordon, and your daughter! Karen Swett (your assistant in reader's theater)

-b9 said...

Kick-ass, girl. All your hardwork has finally paid-off. Now, lemme fill-you-up withe avant-gardeness and wisdom necessary to achieve Seventh-Heaven, dear...